The folks who brought you the "Caslow" book and the old ECP1 class taught
that you should do  all your L2 first, then make a second pass to do your
L3. their reasoning was that it became easier to troubleshoot if you did
things one layer at a time. Otherwise, if you put it all in, and there was a
problem, you had too many variables to consider.

OTOH, these same folks are very big on checklists. Knowing, memorizing,
ordered lists of things to do in each and every situation.

Putting ISDN aside for a moment, given that the current Lab structure
"assures" that your L1 is good, and that your L3 is pretty much ( not 100% )
ready to go,  that leaves you a bit more freedom in how you approach things.

Everyone who has studied ISDN knows that it can be problematic, even in the
best of circumstances. The CCIE Lab is definitely NOT the best of
circumstances!  My opinion, based on practice and on conversation, is that
you have to have confidence that you can configure it correctly from
scratch, and be confident that even if it does not appear to be working,
that you have done things correctly.

this is where the checklist approach comes in, and where you need to develop
a consistent approach each and every time you do ISDN  ( or anything else
for that matter )

if you are told, for example, to use PAP authentication, and to use the
router name as the authentication name, will that throw you off if you have
studied in a particular manner? OTOH, if your checklist goes something like:

ISDN: Calling party

I) physical interface steps
    a) setup
    b) authentication
        1) pap
        2) chap

II ) logical interface steps
    a) setup
    b) authentication
        1) PAP
        2) CHAP

ISDN: Called party

I) physical interface steps
    a) setup
    b) authentication
        1) pap
        2) chap

II ) logical interface steps
    a) setup
    b) authentication
        1) PAP
        2) CHAP

that gives you a framework from which you can quickly and easily configure
ISDN under any given set of circumstances.
Obviously, this checklist is by no means complete. but I think you get the
idea. Don't lose yourself in memorizing configurations, don't get distracted
by infinite variations,  do learn the specific details based on a consistent
approach.

this, BTW, is where "speed" comes into play. Speed is not how fast you can
type. It is how fast you can turn the written requirement into a working
configuration. If you have to spend too much time thinking about the
requirement, you will find yourself out of time, no matter how fast you
type.

JMHO from someone who's been there and will be there again.