the question is would you as the messenger be the one who is shot?

in a rational world, your idea is great.

in a world where people either 1) don't want to be bothered or 2) have a
strong desire to cover up any mistakes they may have made you might want to
carefully consider the wisdom of your plan.

Ironic, isn't it. You want to do some good, and you have to consider that
some people might want to punish you for it. I think they call it the "no
good deed goes unpunished" syndrome. A variant of Murphy's Law.

Chuck

""Stephen Manuel""  wrote in message
> Tom,
>
> I'm not speaking jest, I have used netstumbler to find wireless networks
> that are wide open, some
> are in major companies.
>
> However, I turn off my client manager before I go wardriving, that way I
> don't accidentially connect
> to someone's network without authorization. I can't see how this is
> considered hacking.
>
> When I initially approached the 3 companies I mentioned earlier, I had a
> developed a 3-page document
> on the ease of implementation of wireless networks and the inherit
security
> risks associated with wireless networks. I
> didn't mention to any of the 3 that I had already detected their networks
> and how wide open they really were.
>
> I am toying with the idea of sending specific information to them about
> their wireless networks, like the MAC address of the AP, the SSID, the
> network name, the exact location on a map of the AP, the manufacturer of
the
> AP,  if WEP is turned on, plus if I really want to get serious I could
tell
> them if the AP is issuing IP addresses via DHCP and their network settings
> if it is.
>
> The question I have is, would the company be happy to know that they have
> security holes and were alerted to it, would they threaten me by calling
law
> enforcement, or would they ignore me as a nut or go and fix the problem
> without hiring me to do it for them.
>
> I was simply amazed at the shear number of AP's out there and how many
were
> in businesses wide open.
>
> Stephen Manuel

Of