""Roberts, Larry""  wrote in message
> A FW should be a FW, and that's it. Why add a feature ( SMTP ) that may
have
> a bug in it? The reason that a PIX has never been hacked is because they
> have avoided the do all/be all approach that throws to many variables into
> the mix.

CL: PIX does not allow telnet from the untrusted side, but it can be hacked
by anyone on the inside network, unless specifc actions have been taken.
anyone know if a Netscreen has ever been hacked? I'm asking because I forgot
my admin password, and I don't want to have to do a reset to factory and
lose my configured policies ;->

> Thanks
>
> Larry

Let
> [...]
> be a ONE ALL BE ALL on the network, having SMTP proxy's and such on your
> firewall sometimes makes sense for:
>
> outside address conservation (all MX records for example are routed back
> one IP on the outside then relayed to internal hosts). Oh and PIX does do
> chezzbal implementation of this (mailguard). Which has a tendency to suck
as
> far as I have seen (cant do ESMTP?! whats with that?)
>
> I have worked on CyberGuards for a long time...they are SCO unix. You want
> to learn a little somehting about the backend of a firewall, get on the
> command line on one of those and go....powerful but tricky. I dont mean to
> come off crase becouse im not trying to..just some agrugments to throw
> back..

> 1) not that I am aware of
> 2) Change the access-list name and paste it to the firewall. Then just
> change the access-group statement to the new one. Its an instant change.
> 3) I think your on crack. If your using access-lists on all interfaces (
you
> are aren't you ??? )then there is an implicit deny any any at the end. I
> find many people who put an permit ip any any for the inside access-list.
> While it makes administration much easier, it also is a BAD practice.
> Remember we want to explicitly approve ports, no explicitly deny. You
would
> be surprised the small number of ports that really need to be open!
> 4) This is a security device. You should always type the full command. I
> don't want to take any chances of typing one thing and the PIX taking it
as
> another. I realize that you should know exactly what command your
entering,
> but hey, not everyone is competent on the PIX so no chances.
> 5) Where did you get that info? The PIX 535 will absolutely blow any
> checkpoint device out of the water. Not to mention that checkpoint still
> hasn't figured out how to do IPSec tunnels *PROPERLY*. The PIX was only
> recently made to be a small lightweight FW with the 501. I don't know
about
> you, but I want a firewall to do one thing and one thing only. I don't
want
> a FW that is also a mail gateway, dns server and whatnot that so many
> devices try to be now.
>
> Many FW's are made to be user friendly, and cover the backend stuff that
> really happens. The PIX didn't take that approach. They want someone to
> understand what they are doing, and putting a pretty GUI on it will only
> lead to people who shouldn't be administering it, administrating it. That
is
> why I completely disagree with the PDM.
>
> Im  not directly these comment at you in particular so please don't take
> them that way. Im only saying that we need to realize exactly what a FW
> should do, and what it should not. We also need to realize exactly how a
FW