Actually, I hope you don't take it offline.  I enjoy reading both sides of
the argument and there is merit to both viewpoints.  In my personal
opinion, each firewall has its place, depending on the target
customer.  There are also some customers for which I'd recommend Netscreen
or Sonicwall over either PIX or CP-NG.

Larry:  Out of curiosity, why don't you like in-band management?  It seems
that with proper configuration (SSH, etc.) that it can be quite secure.

Craig

At 05:16 PM 6/25/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]
>world I believe ) shows Cisco with 70% market share in mid-top level space.
>  Type no logg cons or no logg mon. It will break out of the debug. No your
>letters aren't typed next to each other, but the PIX doesn't care.
>I will give you that the DEBUG could use some work in that it is more
>difficult to filter out what you want and what you don't when you logg to
>console or monitor
>
>2) I completely agree. I don't believe in GUI's for Network devices.
>
>3) I user the pager command all the time. I set it to 5000 to dump the whole
>config and then capture the output. I will delete half my config to get to
>your scenario and try. I set it to 15 when I am looking at debug
>
>4) I user CiscoWorks 2K and can read the messages quite nicely. You could
>also use Private-I.
>
>5) I will search for the article. I didn't bookmark it. I also said the PIX
>hadn't been hacked, not IP hasn't been hacked. No one has hacked Finesse. I
>am sorry for the confusion.
>
>6) Will either of those Active Active box's push 1.7Gbps cleartext or 95Mbps
>3Des traffic and 1/2Mil connections.. I didn't say combined, I said
>individually. I can run 2 PIX's and double my numbers as well. Can you
>terminate a tunnel on both box's and load balance traffic over both of them
>from the same source ?
>This is the latest performance briefs that I could fine. I have included
>them to show you what I did review. I can send you the PDF of Cisco's
>performance to back up my statistics for them if you would like. Perhaps you
>should do some research before you question mine.
>http://www.rainfinity.com/products/wp_performance_brief.pdf
>Remember we are talking hardware vs. software FW's so CP's results are bound
>to be lower.
>Also to note for CP is that it is a MUCH cheaper solution. That's a plus for
>it.
>
>7) I only manage PIX's OOB so that point is mute for me.
>
>8) I do it manually,every time I make a change. It helps limit the number of
>copies of my config that are floating around.
>
>9) Really, I don't believe in In-band management, so I assume that CP-1 will
>dial-up and manage devices that way ?I also don't have many universal
>changes that I can push out to 30+ devices, so that ability to manage that
>many from one place is mute for me as well.
>
>10) first see number 7, secondly its interfaces are all 127.0.0.1 so you
>couldn't access it on a PC by default anyways. You also must specify WHAT
>hosts can access it prior to it being accessed. Its turned on, but no one is
>permitted.
>
>11) Yes it is. But so is the learning curve for HP-UX over Windows 2k, but
>which would you rather have running your daily operations on ?
>
>This is becoming a pi$$ing match for Cisco vs. the world. I prefer PIX's,
>you prefer CP's. We can take this off-line as it doesn't belong on this list

Let