Huh?  Why would you need VLAN trunking to utilize Etherchannel?  They're two
independant technologies (that can be combined if you wish).  We have
Etherchannel configured between many switches that aren't trunk links (i.e.
only carrying VLAN1).  (and it would also be a pain to configure an
EtherChannel connection to a router if you only want that router in a single
VLAN if you had to trunk)

>From Cisco's website:  (watch for wrap)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sft_6_1/configgd
/channel.htm#xtocid141809

"EtherChannels can be configured as trunks. After a channel has been formed,
configuring any port in the channel as a trunk applies the configuration to
all ports in the channel. Identically configured trunk ports can be
configured as an EtherChannel."

"If you configure the EtherChannel as a trunk, configure the same trunk mode
on all the ports in the EtherChannel. Configuring ports in an EtherChannel
in different trunk modes can have unexpected results."

If you needed trunking for Etherchannel to work, then why would the above
say "After a channel has been formed . . ." and "If you configure
EtherChannel as a trunk . . ."?

Mike W.