Sometimes you have to ask yourself (unfortunately, your top
management rarely does) if a certain client's business is worth it. I
don't necessarily mean the hassle factor in implementing, but if they
are not forthcoming on information, and are too secretive, you may be
doomed to have a dissatisfied customer.

Perhaps this story, presumably from a different industry, might help
you with them. In the early 1960's, the CIA was building its
headquarters, under the general management of the government-wide
construction management agency. Obviously, at some stage of the
construction, the heating and air conditioning had to be designed,
and the subcontractor asked the necessary question, "how many people
will be in the building ( to know how much body heat would load the
air conditioners)?

CIA:  "We can't tell you."

Contractor:  *sigh*  Installed on best estimate. Heating OK, A/C didn't work.

CIA:  "We won't pay you until you fix it."

Contractor: "We'll put thermostats in every office so we can fine
tune."  That made it worse, because people constantly adjusted them
and the system couldn't stabilize.  The contractor then put all the
thermostats into locked boxes, had a technician adjust them and lock
them, and things worked briefly.

Unfortunately, no one had thought of certain customer skills. There
is, in CIA Junior Officer Training, a course called "Locks and
Flaps."  The significance of this was that if an office didn't have
an occupant who knew how to pick locks, someone just down the hall
did. Every thermostat went crazy.

At this point, the contractor sued.  After explaining why they
couldn't properly size the system because the CIA wouldn't tell them
the load, the judged asked the CIA "is this true?"  When he heard the
sheepish admission "yes," he slammed down the gavel and told the CIA
"pay them. Case closed."

Anyway, I can believe a financial industry client does have this much
bandwidth, for reasons of experience.  The same principle holds as if
they were T1s, however:  get the carrier/telco to multiplex them into
higher-speed aggregates that you can feed to a router, multiplexer,
or switch.  Even if they have 188 DS-3's, this still should groom
into some number of OC-48's or OC-192's.  (slight plug) I've
discussed this at length in my "WAN Survival Guide" (Wiley).

One major consideration will be the line utilization.  Sometimes,
clients such as this want the low delay of very high speed lines, but
don't actually put that much data on them.  In those cases, you can
get away with a high-speed router interface but not overload it with
forwarding. Measurements are essential before you do this.

You will also want to have direct engineering access to the
carrier(s) they use, to discuss grooming and redundancy strategy, and
how the carriers will support physical diversity.

Another thing that worries me is that you describe this as a hub and
spoke.  With this much data, don't they have at least one hot standby
location?  If they, for example, don't have at least two
geographically dispersed sites on a SONET ring or a more modern
equivalent, they are insane...although you may already have concluded
that.  Even at the individual sites, there should be physically
diverse local loops.  Given the availability of metro Ethernet and
10G Ethernet, this isn't an overwhelmingly difficult thing to do, or
you might just do drop-and-repeat WDM.  The data centers, of course,
would have to be cross-connected to stay synchronized; that's why I
say drop-and-repeat rather than add-and-drop.