Well, I don't know that I would have used the word 'unfortunate' to describe
it.  The fact is, why should you, me, or any country spend valuable
resources on doing something unless it's pressing?  If the United States
isn't even close to running out of addresses (and we aren't), then why
should we worry about it now?   It's more efficient to spend valuable time
and money on more pressing matters.

An analogy would be the provable reserves of, say, natural resources.  Take
oil, for an example.  In the history of the oil industry, there never has
been at any time more than a 20-30 year supply of proven reserves.  In the
1960's, there was a 25 year supply of known oil, and today there's still
about a 25 year supply of known oil.  This is simply because once you've
found a certain amount of oil, it's not economical to spend money to  find
even more.   It's costly to drill and explore.  Similarly, it's costly to
migrate to ipv6 and develop new tools and skills.  So why should the US
migrate until it really is close to running out of ipv4 addresses (which,
like I said, it is not even close)?