MADMAN wrote:

> I seem to recall some Cisco switches that would perform
> cut-through
> switching until a configurable number of CRC's are detected and
> would
> switch to store-and-forward until errors cleared.
>
>   Dave

Oh, that's right! I meant to mention that in the message. Some switches
automatically convert to store-and-forward when a configured threshold of
errors is reached. This is sometimes called adaptive cut-through switching.
I don't know which switches have this features. I just know that this always
comes up in theoretical discussions of the switching mode. ;-)

Also, some switches offer fragment-free cut-through switching. These
switches do cut-through, but only after 64 bytes have been received. That
way they avoid forwarding a frame that is illegally short.

The Cat 5000 and 6000 family of switches only offer store-and-forward, by
the way. I think this is an argument for considering cut-through and its
varieties a marketing development, rather than a technical development. The
reduced latency that cut-through offers is not a big advantages on
real-world networks, especially since the latency on high-end
store-and-forward switches is minimal anyway.

Priscilla