Please also keep in mind that my generalizations of the solutions in the
book may leave something to be desired, and the solutions that I pointed out
were certainly not the only ones presented.

*-----Original Message-----
*From: Howard C. Berkowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
*Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 4:10 PM
*To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*Subject: Re: Route Reflection with Multiple POPs [7:48509]
*
*At 7:17 PM +0000 7/10/02, Phillip Heller wrote:
*>On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 04:42:25PM +0000, Lupi, Guy wrote:
*>   Let me preface this by saying that I am trying to learn
*more about large
*>   scale BGP design and operation.  This question is on route
*reflectors
*when
*>   you have multiple POPs in seperate IGP domains.  If you
*currently have
*one
*>   POP and are going to move to 2 within the same AS, you can
*either run
*full
*>   mesh (doesn't scale), reflectors, or confederations.
*Assuming you don't
*>   currently have a central core that the POPs connect back
*to, how well
*does
*>   reflection scale?  I was reading Building Service Provider Networks
*>   [Berkowitz], and it states that iBGP doesn't scale well
*once you go above
*>   15-20 sessions per router.  It also states that most ISPs
*run reflectors
*>   instead of confederations, but I believe that statement is
*being made
*under
*>   the assumption that the ISP will have a central core to
*which the POPs
*will
*>   connect.  This would indicate to me that assuming you don't have a
*central
*>   core, one could only connect 6 or 7 POPs (dual reflectors
*for redundancy)
*>   together using reflection before you would have to either create a
*central
*>   core to reduce the amount of iBGP sessions, or turn to
*confederations.
*>   Perhaps the best way to accomplish this would be to
*establish a "core" in
*>   one of the POPs and run reflection from there, which is
*also presented
*as a
*>   solution in the book?  Any opinions?  I have made an
*attempt at ASCII
*>   drawing below, to me the central core solution makes more sense.
*>
*>In my experience, a core ibgp mesh will scale to at least 70 sessions
*>per device.  I would suggest that route reflection certainly be done
*>between core and aggregation devices per pop.
*
*With more modern routers, I certainly can see that working,
*especially depending on how well you dampen flap and generally
*control the churn rate. One also has to be careful about all the
*issues evolving in the permanent oscillation drafts and discussion in
*the IDR WG.
*
*15-20 is an old Cisco recommendation that, like the number of areas
*per OSPF ABR, certainly can be exceeded when you understand the
*issues.
*
*>
*>Central reflection may be prone to failure depending on the design of
*>the network.
*
*I certainly didn't mean to imply that there is a single reflector. My
*book examples typically show dual reflectors in an important cluster.
*
*One of the questions, of course, is the extent to which you use
*(G)MPLS in the core. There are traffic engineering, shared risk group
*management, and other issues that can make a non-traditional, largely
*BGP-free core attractive.  The BGP intelligence lies in the edge and
*aggregation routers, which inherently distribute control plane
*workload.
*
*>
*>Also, when you mention seperate igp domains, are you referring to
*>areas/levels, or instances?  Both OSPF and ISIS scale quite well using
*>area or level hierarchy, which mostly mitigates the necessity for
*>seperate igp instances.
*
*Agreed.  Indeed, there are many operational carriers that have 1000+
*routers in a single area, albeit with some tuning and stable
*facilities.
*
*
*