Curious wrote:

> Open Question!!!!
> How do we detect the source of collision, i am experiencing
> alot of
> collision on my LAN, which consisit of 10 Base T HUBS and
> 10/100 Switches, i
> am seeing alot of collision, but i dont know where is a Source,
> If some one
> knows how to detect the source of collsion will be great help
> for me
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Curious,

It takes two to tango. Seriously, a collision means two or more stations
sent at the same time, so it's difficult to identify a single source of the
collisions. The stations involved sense the carrier, see that it is free,
and start transmitting. Their frames collide somewhere in the middle. The
senders send their jam and then stop sending. They back off and retransmit.
It can be very difficult to determine which stations were involved in the
collision because the senders stop prematurely, usually before they have
sent an entire source address. An Ethernet frame starts with preamble, dest
address, source address, and then length or type. On most networks, all the
collisions happen within the preamble and dest address.

Note that collisions are normal on shared Ethernet. If you have a lot of
collisions, then you should start dividing up your collision domain with
switches. In fact, not only is that a good design approach, it's really the
only way to troubleshoot also. You have to use a divide-and-conquer approach
and divide up the network until you find the culprits.

I see that someone suggested using a protocol analyzer. You could capture
all the fragments (runts), which are frames that are too short, usually due
to a collision. But these frames may not have a source address, as
mentioned. And not only that, you may be just seeing the victims of the
problem, not necessarily the perpetrators.

To determine which stations are most likely to need a lot of bandwidth (and
were possibly involved in lots of collisions), you could use a protocol
analyzer to determine who are the biggest senders. Actually, the stations
that are most involved in collisions are the ones that send the most often,
which is not necessarily the biggest bandwidth hogs, but usually it is.

Because most networks these days are already micro-segmented (with small
collision domains), the most likely cause of high collisions is a duplex
mismatch. All the stations that are connected to hubs must be set to half
duplex. Any station that is connected point-to-point to a switch can be set
to full duplex as long as the switch port is also set to full duplex.

IEEE 802.3 is supposed to make all this work automatically. The
autonegotiation feature should make sure that you don't have any mismatches.
Even if you connect to an old hub that predates autonegotiation, the
workstation is supposed to recognize this. 10Base-T hubs send pulses that
the workstation should recognize as coming from a half-duplex hub, causing
the workstation to use half duplex.

Unfortunately, autonegotiation fails a lot of the time. This could result in
you having a workstation on a shared network that is set to full duplex,
which would wreak havoc. It would send whenever it wanted, rather than doing
carrier sense first.

But that station will be very hard to find. How big is your network? Can you
manually check devices?

HTH, sorry it was so long-winded! ;-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com