From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 10:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Collision Detecting [7:48830]

I am just going to generalise here. Lets take just one port of a switch or
one collision domain since that's what switches do.

If we run 10 or 100 Half Duplex to a switch ... Is there a chance of a
collision occuring?
If we then run 10 or 100 Full Duplex to a switch ... Is there a chance of a
collision occuring, besides late collisions, etc.

>From what I have read (or remember to have read):
When we run in full duplex we have seperate TX/RX wire pairs i.e the TX pair
on one side is wired to the RX pair on the other side and vice versa...
hence there should be no collisions and that's why there is no collision
detection mechanism in 100MB ... Right?

But the reason I ask this, is that yesterday I had a problem with a NIC, and
the options I had listed in the NIC Device Driver Software was this: 100Mb
Half Duplex.  I thought 100Mb could only run in full duplex? However when we
run Half Duplex, the TX/RX occurs on then same wire pair so how does 100Mb
Half Duplex work if there is no collision detection mechanism for 100Mb?

Of course I could be completely wrong?

Thanks
Manish