From: Roberts, Larry [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 4:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: CCIE written on resume? [7:48868]

Personal advice. List your certifications only. CCNP,CCDP,CCNA,MCSE,etc...
There is no certification called "CCIE written". I would instead place this
under experience section.

When I was a hiring manager, I frowned heavily upon candidates who made up
certifications like putting "CNE 6/8", which I was meant to take as having
passed 6 of 8 tests for the CNE ( I don't remember the exact numbers that
were on it )

I would also mention the fact that you have passed the CCIE written in your
opening paragraph. It's an accomplishment to be proud of! Its just not a
certification.
While I cant tell you the most effective way of presenting your skillset, I
can tell you from personal experience that you will loose far more
interviews that you will gain with "CCIE Written" on your resume , or at
least that is the case in the states.

It might also be helpful to get in contact with a headhunter/placement
company in your area that has a good reputation and get their advice.
Experience counts when it comes time to creating the most effective resume
that you can.

Other words of advice would be to be specific in what you have done. Don't
put "assisted in the global migration of Layer 3 devices", instead use
something along the lines of "lead engineer in the Design,installation and
turn-up of Cisco routers in an IP/IPX network at 250 locations with varying
access circuits from T-1 to T-3,DS-3 and OC-12."

I say this because your resume is going to be scanned into a database and
someone is going to do a search on keywords. In small companies a very
experienced HR person will look at the first statement and say "fluff". With
a tight market, they are going to choose the person that is the best match,
and they are not going to call you to find out even though it not on your
resume', your are the absolute perfect match . They will assume that because
you didn't say Cisco, you don't have experience. Bad assumptions I know, but
in a tight market this tends to happen. What will happen is the further
investigation will happen to the 50 people that did put it on there resume.

I'm sure that others will have even better information and job searching
hints to provide to you so take them all in, figure out what is best for you
and be persistent.

Good luck to you in your search.

Thanks

Larry