I believe it costs a fortune (over $1000) for us mere customers/end users.
I imagine Cisco thinks you resellers need to have it to support your
customers, so they don't have to do as much of the support.  I love my 12.1
printed docs, which I paid $400 plus shipping (around 43 dollars, I think)
on ebay.

My impression is that most people in this industry have no problem using the
CD documentation and reading just about everything from a screen.  I feel
like some sort of relic because I strongly favor reading from paper.