You can run your switch in hybrid mode, set commands for layer 2 stuff
and IOS on the MSFC or Native mode, one image, one big router.

  If your doing voice stuff on the switch you'll need to run hybrid or
if you are installing OSM cards you will have to run native.

  The majority of the switches, as far as I can tell, are running hybrid
though there is a slow transition to native.  I think Cisco would like
to get out of the CATOS business but they don't seem to be pushing it
too aggressively.

  So unless you have cards installed that demand hybrid or native it's a
personal preferance.

  dave