From: Ken Diliberto [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 12:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 6509 Upgrade [7:50122]

The impression I get from reading some of the documentation and talking
to engineers at SBC, some features on the 6500 series will require IOS
on the switch.  If I could remember what it was I'd tell you (I've got
information leaking out my ears...)

This makes it tough since we are installing our 6500's with hybrid
(CatOS on the switch side and IOS on the MSFC's).

Ken

>>> "Wilson, Christian"  07/30/02
07:45AM >>>
Hi all

I am upgrading my 6509 with SupII engines and a MSM card to a new 6509
with
MSFC2's.  I am trying to do some research on the web.  At Cisco's site
find software documentation for the Catalyst software and for the IOS
software.  When I looked through some of both, it would appear that
they can
both accomplish the same things.  My question is, do you only run one
or the
other?  With my current config, I need the Catalyst, or "set" based
code,
for the layer 2 stuff, and an IOS image specific for the MSM to run
the
layer 3 stuff, hence needing two sets of code on my 6509.  Do I need to
do
the same thing with the new MSFC's?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated .
. .