Rob-

I think it is feasible without the 10 years experience working for an
ISP.  In fact, I've been working with Cisco equipment off and on at
first, but then more consistently for the past 6 years.  I took my time
in completing my CCNP (almost 2 years from the point of CCNA), and
probably could have gotten it sooner if I had really applied myself.

For the CCIE, this discussion has been mulled over at least 4 times in
the past 6 months.  The bottom line is, half of the CCIE preparation is
book-study... pure "Cisco" Academics.  But the other half is real
experience working on the equipment for a considerable amount of time,
whether it be more in production and less in lab racks, or vice versa.

One of the list contributors (NRF) I'm sure will comment on his
definition of "Lab Rat", and how he believes that a considerable amount
of employers are not interested in Lab Rats for CCIE's**.  It's a catch
22 in this respect, of which I'm sure you can already understand.

** no need to rehash this topic NRF :)

Personally, I think you can reasonably obtain the CCIE in 18 months, and
really be a well developed CCIE.  Do keep in mind though, the CCIE is
not the top of the mountain, but rather just one of the summits in your
career.  You WILL need to keep learning, and it is up to you if you
decide to continue participating in the Vendor Certification game.

Just my .00000010

Good luck on your studies.

Mark Odette II
CCNP, MCSE 4.0/2K, A+ Certified.