Not quite sure whether this popped up before as an answer, but this
        [CCO login required]
        http://tools.cisco.com/CCIE/Schedule_Lab/CCIEOnline?verify

        allows you to verify whether "John Smith, CCIE 1024" is really a
CCIE. You cannot verify if "John Smith" is CCIE, though.

        I always thought that was the reason to include the number.

Marko.