I used to subscribe to the theory that by listing your certs, you somewhat
shield yourself from flaming and criticism.  For example, if a regular dude
with no Cisco knowledge bashes Cisco, you could dismiss him as just a crank
and people could justifiably flame him, etc. etc..  But if he's a CCIE, then
you might actually have to take his complaints seriously.

But I learned the hard way that this is not true.   I learned that if people
dislike your comments so much that they're going to flame you, they're going
to do it whether you present your qualifications or not.  They might flame
you in a different way, but they're still going to do it.   So at the end of
the day, it doesn't matter a whit.

For example, without answering the question of whether I am or am not a
CCIE, I remember when I got into a discussion of the CCIE program, where I
discussed the program's problems.  Just like clockwork, dudes immediately
shot back by asking me whether I was a CCIE myself, apparently under the
guise I am just jealous of the program and the people who hold that
designation.  Yeah, well, what if I had decided to include in my sig my
4-digit number (which, again, is something I may or may not hold).   I think
we all know what would have happened - those same dudes who flamed me before
for being jealous would have now flamed me for being insecure, because
apparently my ulterior motive would be that I'm discouraging people from the
program to protect my exclusive status (?!).   Hmmm.

The point is, it's a no-win situation and so I elect not to play.      The
people on this thread who are reasonable, which is most of them, will read
your statements and judge them based on merit without regard to what your
qualifications are.   But then there are those people who have already made
up their minds and couldn't care less even if you happened to be John
Chambers himself.   So there's no point in putting all your cards on the
table if it isn't going to make a dam* bit of difference anyway.