""Vogel Matthew GS-11 CFAO/IRMD""  wrote in
message [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I would like to add my 2 cents on this topic as well.  This is a debate
that
> I have heard over and over and the answer is that it depends on the
> individual person and what they wish to achieve with a CCIE certification.
> A couple of points need to be made.
>
> 1. Certifications, including the CCIE, are not a guarantee of a job or a
> particular salary.  I am studying for the CCIE now and everyone tells me
> that I am going to make six figures when I get my cert.  I do not believe
> that that will happen and I am not getting my cert for the money.

You should absolutely not believe that it will happen, at least not to a
100% certainty.  Maybe it will happen, but maybe it won't.   Just check out
all the CCIE's who are unemployed or underemployed (meaning they went back
to Unix sysadmin or whatever).

>I work
> for the government for less than my peers and will continue to do so after
> get my cert.  A government job has great benefits and good job security.
> also get to go home at 4:30 everyday.
>
> 2. Certification does not mean you know it all.  True the CCIE is the
> pinnacle of Cisco certs but is does not mean you know it all.  There are
> many more topics that are not covered in the CCIE that a person may not
have
> knowledge of.  That is why there are multiple CCIE tracks.

And even then you are not even close to knowing it all.  Some of the best
minds in the industry are people like Cerf, Li, Rekhter, Katz, Perlman, and
each of them has probably forgotten more about networking than all the
CCIE's in the world put together will ever know.  None of them have CCIE's.
Of course many of them do hold the title PhD.

> 3. Continuing one's education is never a bad thing.   In the networking
> world things change by the day.  Working toward a cert and staying
certified
> is a good way to force yourself to stay up with the technology.

That is one of the ways to stay up with the technology.  But it's not the
best way. The best way obviously is to constantly make sure you're being
handed quality projects.

> 4. Better to have the cert than not to.  If you are applying for a job and
> their are two other candidates with the same experience level and training
> but you have a CCIE cert and they do not, who do you think is going to get
> the job?  In today's job market every little bit helps.  For ever person I
> have heard say it did not make a difference when they got hired, I know
> three more people that say a cert did make the difference.  I know that my
> certs, MCSE, CCNP, and CCDA helped me get my current job right after Sept.
> 11.

Well, when you look at it that way, then you can say that about anything.
Getting a PhD will help.  Getting an MBA will help.  Anything helps.

The real way to look at it is to do a proper cost-benefit analysis and
determine whether the advantages of getting a particular cert outweighs the
time and money it takes to get the cert.  This analysis will obviously
depend on many factors - not least of which is who is paying (you or your
company),  and on whose time are you doing the studying (yours or your
company's).   My take is that if your company is willing to foot the entire
bill, including failed test attempts, and will also provide you with time to
study, then certs are clearly worth it.  Otherwise, the choice is  far less
clear-cut.

> Like I said, it boils down to each individual making a decision.
Personally