George,

Yes, I do think it is worth it.

I only have CCNA and CCDA, but the more I get into Cisco certifications, the
more I realize what amount of knowledge one gets if his goal is to acquire
solid knowledge.

True, the needs of industry will always change as technologies change, but
these Cisco certifications build on foundational knowledge which is going to
be around for quite some time.

I mean, though i do not know much about networking, if one has CCIE, that
person has a broad knowledge base (I hope), and he can easily adapt to
changing needs in the industry.

If you are able to do this thing, please do it.

Many years back, I was studying with some guys and they got good jobs
immediately after college while I continued toiling with books a little
more. Now, even though I may never earn more than they do, I feel they envy
my position (sorry!).

When you have good knowledge, coupled with relevant experience, you will
find your niche somehow. You can even be  trainer like Pricilla
Oppenheimer... there will always be diverse needs in the society.