Gaz wrote:

> I think I understand it better (that's usually the point where
> someone pulls
> the rug from under my feet :-))
>
> The two seem to contradict each other though. One saying that
> the Tc can be
> set by the provider, and Cisco saying it's automatically
> calculated.

Yes, Spohn does say that Tc is set by the provider, but perhpas that's
because his book is somewhat old. Or perhaps what he meant to say was that
Tc is derived becuase the provider and customer agree on a Bc value, which
also changes Tc, as Tc= Bc/CIR. Sphon also says that the default value of Tc
is 1, implying that Bc isn't set and is assumed to be the same as the bits
value in the CIR bits/sec.

Now Cisco says that the default value for Tc is 1 also, depending on which
documents you read! ;-) But Cisco also lets you set the Bc which affects the
Tc. You can do that when you configure traffic shaping.

I don't think anyone actually explicitly sets the Tc these days. I think
it's derived.

Hey, but I'm way out on a limb here. Maybe someone else will join the
discussion and reel me back in. ;-) Thanks.

Priscilla

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fqos