From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Maximus
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 11:49 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Multiple Supervisors 6509 Chassis; Native IOS [7:51654]

This is how I learn: =)
Running IOS on my 6509, I wanted to see the amount of downtime I would cause
by deliberately causing the primary SUP to fail by one executing a reload on
the primary module and two simply pulling the primary from the chassis.
heeheehee

What I found was the reload caused approximately 2 minutes downtime.  This
was because the entire chassis of course booted.  The secondary module did
however become the primary almost immediately following the reload command.
Now I figure that if I just removed the primary blade the system would
failover immediately and not reboot my 10/100/1000 blades.  To my surprise,
this resulted in again 1 minute and 50 seconds downtime and network
connectivity was restored.  BTW The blades also appeared to reboot.

In terms of High Availability am I missing something?  Considering these
results what would deter me from just sticking to HSRP.  I am a novice and
looking for some constructive input.  With that said note the following:

IOS:
Cisco Catalyst 6000 (R7000) processor with 112640K/18432K bytes of memory.
R7000 CPU at 300Mhz, Implementation 39, Rev 2.1, 256KB L2, 1024KB L3 Cache
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(11r)E1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-JSV-M), Version 12.1(11b)E4, EARLY
DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Hardware:
Router>sh mod
Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial
No.
---
  1    2  Cat 6k sup 1 Enhanced QoS (Standby)    WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE
  2    2  Cat 6k sup 1 Enhanced QoS (Active)     WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE
  4   16  16 port 1000mb GBIC ethernet           WS-X6416-GBIC
  9   48  48 port 10/100 mb RJ45                 WS-X6348-RJ-45

Comments?
-Maximus