When you have two Sups and you're running Native IOS, you cannot run HSRP
between them...as you mentioned, one sup is active and the other is standby
and there's about 90-120 seconds of downtime when one sup fails because the
other sup has to re-initialize the hardware (the standby sup (if you watch
from a console while it boots) actually boots part way.... it loads IOS but
then waits... when the other sup fails, it "finishes" the boot process by
initializing the blades and then running as normal)

We have 2 6509s, and we run HSRP between the sups on them so that if there
is a sup failure, only the devices attached to the switch with the failed
sup are affected..... the others work fine because HSRP will keep at least
one MSFC up and running.

If you use the following commands in global config mode, it will setup so
that when you make config changes on the primary sup and save them, that it
will automatically update the config on the backup sup too.....

redundancy
 main-cpu
  auto-sync standard

Mike W.