I've been reading about the high availability in the 6500 (since we have
one and are getting over a dozen more).  What I understand so far is
that the existing flows are used for about 2 minutes while the new
active supervisor/MSFC relearns the network (routes, MAC's, etc).  Not
my idea of high availability.

So, existing sessions should continue fine.  New stuff may have a
problem.

Note:  I've been concerned with Hybrid mode (CatOS + IOS), not native.
I'm not ready to tackle that yet.  :-)

>>> "Maximus"  08/19/02 11:48AM >>>
This is how I learn: =)
Running IOS on my 6509, I wanted to see the amount of downtime I would
cause
by deliberately causing the primary SUP to fail by one executing a
reload on
the primary module and two simply pulling the primary from the
chassis.
heeheehee

What I found was the reload caused approximately 2 minutes downtime.
This
was because the entire chassis of course booted.  The secondary module
did
however become the primary almost immediately following the reload
command.
Now I figure that if I just removed the primary blade the system would
failover immediately and not reboot my 10/100/1000 blades.  To my
surprise,
this resulted in again 1 minute and 50 seconds downtime and network
connectivity was restored.  BTW The blades also appeared to reboot.

In terms of High Availability am I missing something?  Considering
these
results what would deter me from just sticking to HSRP.  I am a novice
and
looking for some constructive input.  With that said note the
following:

[snip]