I just tried this and it appears that the behavior is a little different
on routed virtual interfaces on the 6513.  I'm running 12.1(11) IOS and
with debug arp turned on I didn't see the duplicate IP test or the
gratuitous ARP.

Or, I'm just blind and I don't see it but I've run the test several
times just to make sure.

Thanks,
John

John Neiberger wrote:

> I'm planning on moving routing responsibilities from a router to our
> 6513 and I *really* need to minimize downtime.  I'll be moving an
> interface IP address from one device to another and this is the
default
> gateway for all devices on that network.  The problem is that all
> devices on that subnet will have the wrong MAC address in their ARP
> caches.  I know that if I issue a unicast ping from the new router
it
> will force the end host to update its ARP cache but a broadcast ping
> does not accomplish the same thing, probably because most devices
ignore
> a broadcast ping, and I don't feel like pinging every device
> individually.
>
> I can't configure HSRP just to gain the benefit of gratuitous ARP;
> simply configuring it will be disruptive and that's what I'm trying
> avoid.

With the new box being a Cisco, the good answer is you won't have to
do anything.  For many many years, Cisco routers have performed
several
operations anytime you "no shut" an interface or change its IP
address:
1) ARP broadcast as a duplicate IP address test (and hope nobody