Been awhile since I've read this list, but saw this posting and figured I'd
offer an alternative way of looking at this.  I can recall a time when I had
to make a move just like this, without knowning what the mix of devices was
on that L2 network.  If you don't need the original router for something
extremely soon you can just move the IP address and keep an address with ip
forwarding enabled on the depricated(historic) router.  Policy routing on
that interface works good when the historic router needs to carry on other
tasks as well.

If you are moving service from R1 to a new router R2 do the following by
connecting to those routers independantly of the moving address:
R1:
conf t
int fa0/0
ip address

R2:
conf t
int fa0/0
ip address

Now you've got the hosts which have arp'ed or have fixed arp tables sending
traffic to R2.  You have stale arp entries with the MAC address of R1, which
is receiving and handling traffic as before.  You've got time to fix the
host's arp tables via any number of different methods.  You can watch the
packet input rate on R1's interface and see which hosts are still not
cleaned up.  If the input rate doesn't match output then most of the packets
coming in are probably junk of some sort dhcp or other broadcasts.  As the
volume drops you can probably use an inbound acl on the interface to log
packets...there is likely some noise of packets which will be coming in and
you want to make sure it's really noise and not a valid host still
forwarding to R1.  It would be advisable to finally shutdown R1's interface
in a maintenance window just in case you missed something...

A plus and minus depending upon how you look at it is R1 would now be
issuing icmp redirects to the address those hosts thought they were sending
things to anyway.  The plus side is the admins of those hosts catch them in
logs and think about it at which time you should have educated them already
about what it is and to DO something about it before R1 gets shutdown.  The
minus side is some hosts's IP stacks insert permanent host records for each
redirect they receive which means you could cause them cleanliness
problems(memory, forwarding table size, ...).  Consider turning off
redirects on R1's interface if you haven't already turned it off everywhere.

if you need to force traffic through R2 go back to R1 because R1's existing
config can't support accepting the remaining traffic:
access-list 100 permit ip any any (change this if you have other traffic
entering this interface you don't want to force toward R2)
route-map moveto-r2
 match ip addr 100
 set ip next-hop
int fa0/0
ip policy route-map moveto-r2

A variation on other suggestions would be if R1 and R2 are both attached to
the same switch getting L2 forwarding of R1's mac wouldn't be hard along
with setting the MAC of R2's interface.  Not sure if that'd work in your
environment though.

Good Luck, Darrell Newcomb
Always looking for the next killer project....
darrell(at)hayaitacosnet