OK...I did this once and I'll state my embarassing moment. I had the exact
same issue. Turned out I'd made a mistake and had put the pc on the wrong
network. Was supposed to be on eth0 and was on eth1. Took me til the next
day to figure it out. I figured I knew too much to have to check anything at
THAT layer. After all...How much brains does it take to plug something in
right? In a humbling moment, discovered it took more brains than I had at
the time. :)