Yes routing will solve the problem.  Also the Cisco, or formerly Cisco
8110 supports a larger enet packet size.  The problem with the tagged
frames is that they look like giants, >1518 bytes.

  Dave

--
David Madland
CCIE# 2016

"You don't make the poor richer by making the rich poorer." --Winston
Churchill