Your stub router will take the shortest path to the destinations in area
0.  In this case, it will sum the cost from the ABR to the destination
(assuming area 0 destination) with the cost of itself to the ABR(s) and
take the lower cost of the candidate paths.  In your case, simply increase
the metric on the link toward the vpn and you should see the proper
primary/secondary paths.

Pete