Hopefully it won't be as bad as your analogy with the shipping port workers,
which is even more fraught with political issues. The balance of power
between the workers and management has a history of being way off balance,
one way or the other, with technological changes being marred by work
stoppages and violence. It's a precarious situation.

(I had the job in the 1980s of replacing one of the highest-paid
longshoreman with an automated crane. Boy was that a challenge, not helped
by the fact that our management made us install it before the bugs were
worked out.)

Anyway, the conversion to IPv6 won't be that bad I don't think. Someone
asked about a timeframe. (Was it you?) I think it will be beofre 2007. Five
years from now, who knows where we'll be? ;-)

Priscilla