Mike Mandulak wrote:

> Oops I forgot to cc my reply to the list again. but you're
> right.
>
> Here's what I sent him...
> Only one. However (there's always a however) the adapters can
> be configured
> to use ETR (early token release) which means that as soon as an
> adapter
> starts receiving a frame it can start transmitting its own data
> out the TX
> path while receiving the incoming frame. While that's not 2
> tokens, it is 2
> different frames on the wire at the same time.

That's not really what it means, not that it matters much these days. ;-)

With no early token release, a sending station must see its own frame come
back before it releases a free token that someone else can grab.

With early token release (ETR), a sending station can release a token at the
end of its transmission, regarless of whether it's starting to receive its
own transmission yet. Someone else can grab the free token and turn it into
a frame. Hence, there can be more than one frame, as you say, but still only
one free token.

It was all a bunch of marketing FUD really though. It would have to be a
physically very large network for the ETR feature to make any difference. On
typical networks, the sender was already getting back its own transmission
as it finished its transmission anyway. So it released a free token at about
the same time regardless if ETR was in use or not. But nobody cares any more
about the actual behavior. You just have to learn the theory. ;-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com