Tim Metz wrote:

> so to rephrase the original question, although there is never
> more than one
> token on the ring, there can be more than one data/command
> frame...????

Yes. There can be more than one frame if you use Early Token Release. It's
not likely, but it's allowed by the specifications. There's just one token
though. The token is a 3-byte "symbol of authority." That's what IEEE 802.5
calls it, probably to avoid using the term frame. ;-) A sender grabs the
token and converts it do a frame, changing one bit, adding more bytes and
addressing, etc.

Why are you studying Token Ring?? Ugh. ;-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com