In what ways was the SIP equipment better? The fact that it comes from a
"www/internet" IETF world, versus H.323 which comes from the ITU, wouldn't
necessarily mean that it's better. In fact, to make a very broad
generalization, the IETF has historically been involved with data networking
which hasn't been that concerned about quality.  Reliability is achieved, in
general, by the sender retransmitting if there's no ACK, which doesn't work
with voice. Quality is achieved by various hacks. ;-)

At least in the U.S., our telephone networks have always been way more
reliable and offered better quality than our data networks, which have been
annoyingly flaky. When we pick up a phone to make a call, unless it's
Mother's Day and all circuits are busy, it simply works. Problems are rare.
Problems accessng data on intranets and the Internet are widespread. So it
doesnt' fit with our paradign that you would think that SIP is better
because it comes from a "www/Internet" world.

SIP may be better because it's always easier to do something better the
second time around. SIP is newer. H.323 is old.

Anyway, this philosophical debate probably isn't that relevant, but things
are slow today at work. ;-)

Priscilla