Comments inline...

--- Chuck's Long Road  wrote:
> ""Lupi, Guy""  wrote in message
> > I would think about going with a 6509, the 5500
> series has been eol'd, but
> > the last support dates are a while away yet.
> >

> CL: Lorda mercy!!! you sound like almost all of the
> Cisco sales guys I
> know!!!! ;-> Mention the word "core" and the only
> thing they can say is
> "6509". Let's see -  one slot for the sup, one for
> the 16 port gig blade,
> one for the 48 port ethernet blade - the rest of the
> slots for baking pizzas
> :->
>
> CL: 12 copper gig ports and 48x10/100 ports fits
> nicely into a 4006, which
> conveniently now sells with an L3 blade.. Use the
> 10/100/1000 blade, or use
> the copper gig GBICs, depending on other
> consideration.

But the 4006 is a wiring closet switch. I recently ran
into a company trying to use a 4006 w/sup2 with 12
GBIC ports attached to servers w/gigabit NICs and
their performance and throughput suffered. (Ie:
In-lost errors, rx-errors, and txmt-errors which all
point to excessive traffic and full buffers). I've
only seen this w/sup2s however so maybe sup3 or sup4
would help. I've seen other companys also have
problems when using 4006 as a core/data-center device
with a good amount of servers attached.

> CL: OR... I gotta keep brining this up - depending
> on the applications and
> traffic flows, a 3550-12G and a cou-ple of 3550-48's
> might just do the
> trick. The 12G is L3 out of the box.

Agreed, or some other vendors box that isn't as pricy
as the 6500 series (Extreme, Foundry).

http://sbc.yahoo.com