True chuck, comments below...

--- Chuck's Long Road  wrote:
> Good points, Erik - some thoughts below:

 snipp for brevety

> CL: according to the specs, the 4006 has a 64 gig
> backplane, superior to the
> 65xx's advertised 32 gig out of the box.

Also, take the Mpps numbers into consideration. I
don't have them for the 6500 offhand.

5500 -- 1-25 Mpps
4006 w/sup3 or sup4 -- 48 Mpps
4006 w/sup2 -- 18 Mpps

> I do recall some conversation somewhere about
> Cisco's 6 port gig blade architechture being
> somewhat
> restrictive, but I don't recall the details.

If you recall the details, I would be interested. The
cisco pages say the 6 port GBIC is non-blocking but
doesn't go into details about backplane.

> Something about each three gig
> ports sharing a chunk of the backplane? If this is
> the case, I can see
> certain high speed server applications having
> problems. Althoug I gotta say,
> the 65xx architechture isn't any better.
>
> CL: also, there could have been other reasons why
> there were problems in the
> case you mention.

Agreed. It all depends on the type of traffic and
amount happening at same time. IE: You could have 30
gig attached devices that aren't transmitting and run
fine but if all 30 are pumping the wire you're likely
to have problems.

http://sbc.yahoo.com