I don't think it's accurate to say that Cisco, Microsoft and Novell have
contributed to the "paper cert syndrome".  They simply created
certifications in an effort to distinguish those who are familiar with their
products from those who don't.  The people who use brain-dumps and boot
camps are the real culprits.  They get the certifications that get them the
jobs, then prove they don't know what they're doing, and in turn it casts a
shadow of doubt on those who do (know what they're doing).  You can't blame
them.  Besides, all three have made their more recent certifications more
difficult with simulations, etc.  And I don't think many people doubt that
someone who has passed the CCIE lab knows at least enough to stumble through
and succeed.  Anyway, I think the idea is great, and I hope they succeed.  I
will definitely be in line to get my FCP certification.  Maybe it will be
the difference between me and that other guy.  Maybe you (not anyone
specific -- generally).

http://www.fieldcertification.org/Composition/Steering_Committee_Meeting_Min