""Chuck's Long Road""  wrote in message
> hey, friends, I'm always interested in learning something I didn't know
> before. not claiming to know a whole lot about MPLS, but in terms of
> operation, MPLS operates on top of a routing protocol, any routing
protocol,
> correct? Requires that CEF is enabled, at least in the Cisco world, but
any
> old routing protocol is fair game as the transport piece, correct?
>
> So to me, the question would become one of the relative merits of any
> routing protocol, without the MPLS issue clouding it. I would think, but
> what do I know?

I got an even more fundamental question - why does MPLS require IP at all?
At the risk of starting a religious way, it's not called Internet Protocol
Label Switching, it's Multi-protocol label switching.  MPLS has effectively
become a feature of IP, as opposed to a generalized control-plane mechanism
for which is what it was originally intended.