In article , [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...
> Dear GroupStudy,
>
> Here is my interesting dilemma.  I hope someone can lend some insight...
>
> 1 - I only have dial-up (no cable modem - i.e. no constant connection to
> Internet).
> 2 - I travel for work, so I'm not home very often.
> 3 - I have a lab that I would like to use rather often.
> 4 - I do not want to spend a lot of $$ on long distance to dial up my
> lab.
> 5 - I also do not want to spend a lot of $$ on electricity if the lab is
> not in use.
> 6 - I have (will have) an APC MasterSwitch PDU that I know can be used
> to remotely power up/power down the lab.
> 7 - The lab consists of all 2500 series routers (7 of them).
>
> I do not know if I can dial in to the PDU in order to power up the lab
> (this I can figure out).  Once the lab is powered up, is there a way to
> have one of the routers dial up my ISP?  But then, how would I know what
> the IP address of the router is (since the ISP uses DHCP) in order to
> telnet to the lab?
>
> One of the solutions I have thought of is to dial up my PC (with wake on
> LAN - if that works on the modem), disconnect.  Then the dial up
> connection would be in my startup folder so the PC would dial the ISP
> automatically.  Then I would dial up the ISP from wherever I would be.
> Then I still have the problem of knowing my IP address.  A friend said
> to use ICQ.  I don't know how that works, but will try it.
>
> I think I have covered everything.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Jake Secrist
I set a similar thing up at home although it doesn't answer all of your
questions it may give you other ideas. Try www.no-ip.com.
For simple dynamic DNS they offer a free service. It seems to work fine
for me.
I use Windows XP remote desktop to a home PC and connect to everything
else from there. Bit of a strange set-up, but I use Internet Connection
sharing on the XP box and all the routers sit behind that.
 I suppose the security may not be wonderful?? but to be honest I don't
care. The XP machine can be re-built in minutes (ish).

I don't have the problem of remote power on, as I have a much more
complicated and infinitely more expensive device which powers everything
on when needed. Unfortunately she's not always in when I call, but you
can't have everything :-)

Gaz