"Peter Walker : CISSP, CSS1, CIP wrote:

> Gaz wrote:
> >

> > I use Windows XP remote desktop to a home PC and connect to
> everything
> > else from there. Bit of a strange set-up, but I use Internet
> Connection
> > sharing on the XP box and all the routers sit behind that.
> >  I suppose the security may not be wonderful??
>
> No it isnt unless you have put some work into the security of
> this
> machine.
>
> > but to be honest I don't
> > care. The XP machine can be re-built in minutes (ish).
> >
> It can once you realised it has been cracked.  How
> quickly do you think you can spot that it has happened?
> Are you also volunteering your time and money to fix any
> systems that are attacked from your machine?
>

> Peter Walker
>
> PS. Sorry if I seem a bit harsh, but the fact is that in
> my experience most 'attacks' that I have experienced originate
> from poorly secured machines that people have foolishly placed
> on the net.

I agree with you, Peter.

Recently I was at a conference with some security gurus. They were working
on a system for ISPs to automatically notice and report to each other
security problems. The system required the ISP to have an automomous system
number. I pointed out that some ISPs don't have such a thing. There are
still quite a few small ISPs that depend on other ISPs who depend on other
ISPs, etc. The gurus sort of laughted at me. But really, a lot of the
attacks are going to come from Grandma's PC that Grandson forgot to secure
when he set up an ISP in his bedroom. If that's a bit extreme, I would also
say that a lot of attacks are going to come from compromised computers
behind cable or DSL modems, where the slightly larger ISP didn't stress
security enough either. That's my $0.02 anyway. Comments??

Priscilla Oppenheimer