What is the best way to perform Migration?   I have a customer who has
currently running CAT5000 as a backbone switch and tons of 3COM switches at
access layer.  We would be installing (2) 6509 switches with 3524 switches
will be used at access layers and server farms. It is a campus environments
and they have tons of IDFs.  We will have about 15 VLANS will be load
balancing between (2) 6509 switches along with HSRP for Layer 3 redundancy.
During the First phase, I want to configure (2) 6509 along with the
Serverfarm switches.  The way I would migrate is that I will connect their
Existing backbone Cat 5000 with (2) 6509 switches, and will also force to
Cat5000 to become non-root switch.  By doing that I could slowly move users
from their current network to the new switches and both the newtworks will
have an access to the servers which will be on its own subnet in (5) 3524
gigastack switches.   The only problem I see it here is these 15 VLANS.  I
guess I will also have to configure their existing subnets and VLANS to the
6509 switches only temporarily basis  because those VLANS and Subnets coming
from 3com switches to new 6509 via Cat5000, and in order to reply back,
6509 will have to know the routes and vlans. Is it right approach or someone
have a better suggestion? Regards, Teza

Changed your e-mail?  Keep your contacts!  Use this free e-mail change of
address service from Return Path.  Register now!