in line ( like the skates )

""Ken Diliberto""  wrote in message
> Our parent "company" had the idea of letting a TelCo do the same for us.
>  The TelCo was/is contracted to set up a "gateway" between the old
> network and the new network.  Lucky for us we're smarter than they are
> (at least we think we are...) and are having things our way.  :-)
>
> It's difficult to try keeping a "hands-off" approach to letting a
> vendor install a major piece of equipment in the core of MY network.
> Maybe you know how it is... watching an engineer (CCNP with some
> experience) who is supposed to know what he's doing but brings down the
> network instead.  Add a CCIE with a few years experience to the mix,
> three more tries with two of them resulting in network outages.

CL: Let he who has never brought a network down by accident ( or otherwise )
cast the first stone. Did I ever tell you the one about the newly minted
Novell admin who decided to have some fun one afternoon unloading and

> The suggested configuration for our first 6500 (a 6513 with dual
> Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2) was to run in HSRP between the two MSFCs. (For those
> who don't know, an MSFC - Multiservice Switch Feature Card or something
> like that, is a routing module on the switch supervisor).  We are
> running IP, IPX and AppleTalk.  What they didn't tell us was we had to
> keep the configurations sync'ed between the two MSFCs otherwise there
> would be problems.  Config Sync doesn't support AppleTalk.  Guess
> what... we had problems.  We're now running SRM.

CL: serves you right for running AppleTalk.

> I guess I should get to the point here.  My experience says "forklift"
> upgrades are bad.  Way too much room for things to go bad.  Considering
> the problems introducing a single new core box, I'd take it slow.  make
> sure everything runs as planned while you upgrade.  Make sure
> Spamming-Tree (did I say that??) is working properly, VTP is
> communicating and the hardware has burned in.  That brings up another
> thing: after the first few weeks, one of the lights on the switch fabric
> module stopped showing green (looked burned out).  While tempted to say
> it's just a light, you have no idea what the root problem causing the
> light not to function is.  We had the vendor replace the card.

CL: advice certainly worth considering

> It seems our vendor keeps shooting itself in the foot.  Their engineers
> keep doing things that prevents them from earning any respect from us.
> On a positive note,  I know one engineer with that company who I do
> respect.  Too bad they keep him in design.  :-)

CL: seriously, having spent wonderful quality ( but far too little ) time
with the likes of Marty Adkins and Val Pavlichenko, not to mention a young
guy at work I'm beginning to think is in this class, I suspect that there
are very few top level network engineers in the world, and a lot of
wannabe's.

CL: Not everyone can be a brain surgeon. Most of us are just GP's. Of the
CCIE's I have met, many are in this latter category as well. Let alone us
CCNP / CCDP types. ;-> We all just do the best we can, and live in fear that
something we touch is going to break and we won't know how to fix it.