interesting.

The following may or may not be feasible, depending upon space in closets,
and cost of implementation. It is something my employer is supposed to be
doing for the various "branch offices" of a major customer we have during a
major network forklift upgrade. It has tended not to happen this way for a
lot of reasons, political and practical.

1) Place all new switches into the various closets. Connect them up

2) set up a gateway ( single link ) between the new core switch(s) and the
old core switch(s)

3) test connectivity by taking a laptop with as many user applications as
practical, and go from closet to closet testing connectivity to the various
servers, services, etc.

4) assuming point three results in connectivity everywhere, do a closet by
closet migration of users from the old switches to the new switches.

5) migrate all devices ( servers, internet, etc ) onto the new core
switches.

6) assuming all remains well, unplug the old stuff  and if Cisco is not
offering you a generous trade in, sell it on one of the auction sites.

Like I said, sometimes time, space, and cost does not permit this.

Chuck

--

www.chuckslongroad.info
like my web site?