Cisco Nuts wrote:

> That's the exact reason why I asked on Eigrp and Isis for
> link-state? :-)
> Do you have any ideas??

What problem are you trying to solve? I'm being dense perhaps, but I think
you will get a better answer if you explain the problem rather than a
potential solution. I know a consultant whose mantra is "tell me what, not
how!" ;-)

Snapshot routing is a solution for reducing the number of routing updates
that are sent. It works for protocols like RIP, IGRP, and RTMP that send
their entire routing tables (after split horizon) frequently, like every 30
seconds for RIP, every 90 seconds for IGRP, and every 10 seconds for RTMP.

Neither EIGRP nor IS-IS do this. Although EIGRP uses vectors with distance
information, its updates are nonperiodic, partial, and bounded. Nonperiodic
means that updates are sent only when a metric changes rather than at
regular intervals. Partial means that updates include only routes that have
changed, not every entry in the routing table. Bounded means that updates
are sent only to affected routers. These behaviors mean that EIGRP uses very
little bandwidth. However, it does send incessant Hellos (every 5 seconds)
and that is probably what concerns you.

I don't know IS-IS, but EIGRP learns about its neighbors with Hellos. If you
want to reduce traffic and keep a DDR line from coming up just to send
Hellos, you could make the DDR link a passive interface. Under the EIGRP
commands, use the "passive-interface dialer0" command or whatever is
appropriate for your config. Then use a static route to make sure the link
does come up when you need to send to the other side. You could still use
EIGRP on either side but make the DDR link passive. That's one way to skin
the cat anyway! ;-)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com