It's risky to bring up this subject again ;-), but the fact that you can
configure HyperTermianl to Telnet over the serial port proves that TCP/IP
over serial does work. Just configure HyperTermianl properties to use TCP/IP
Winsock.

When this first came up I assumed people meant Telnet over Ethernet, but
HyperTermianl lets you Telnet over the serial port, I soon discovered.

Of course, you could also use exernal modems. The fact that you can dial
into the Internet is more proof that you can run TCP/IP over the PC's serial
port.

Regarding the USB network adaptors that connect a PC to Ethernet: I don't
know if they use PPP or SLIP or something else accross the USB port. That's
a good quesiton. I assumed it was something simpler than PPP or SLIP, though.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com