>Because you seemed to want to build hardware to do it!? Neither additional
>hardware nor software should be necessary to do what you said in the first
>line of your message: "I would like to create IP connectivity from PC
>serial
>port to router serial port directly."

Yes, but using Hyperterminal as you described earlier would be limited to
hyperterminal functionality (telnet), wouldn't it? If possible, I would like
to use serial port on PC (read, ppp encapsulation) as complete network
adapter solution without going through modems. Open up native DOS prompt and
ping, web access, ect... It is an academic pursuit.

> > USB port. I do see some USB network card implementations are
> > just a plug
> > into the USB port with no wires exposed, and a rj-45 plugin
> > dongle like
> > thing. I guess I need one with wires exposed to cut into them,
> > and with
> > slip/ppp.
>
>Why? Or maybe it's proprietary info.

If it is encapsulated ppp coming out the USB port with exposed wires, they
could be cut open and spliced onto a router's serial cable. Those dongle USB
network plugs are solid and can't be cut open most likely, and probably
ethernet framed anyway. I think USB will be difficult. Still looking...