Hi Cable,
A normal PC serial port is async, as in U.Async.R.T, so will not connect
to standard sync cisco port.  If you really want to run sync then yes,
you will need a sync port on the PC but this is minority interest
hardware and will not be cheap.  Try manufacturers such as Eicon.  I
would expect a sync serial card to have IP software available but then
I've never done it myself.  Where is this technical requirement coming
from?
rgds
Marc TXK