hktco wrote:

> When I learned it for CCNA and CCNP, I was told that IGRP is
> Cisco
> proprietary.  Until recent, I was being told that IGRP is no
> longer
> proprietary
> and became an open standard.

No, neither IGRP nor EIGRP are open standards. They are Cisco proprietary.
There are no RFCs or other industry-standard specifications that document
the protocols.

With IGRP, Cisco did allow Rutgers University to publish a good article that
explains everything you need to know about IGRP. See here:

With EIGRP, it would be much harder to figure out exactly how it all works
unless you were a Cisco IOS software developer. But Cisco TAC does have some
good Web pages about EIGRP. See here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103/eigrp-toc.html

So... with these documents, theoretically another company could gather
enough info to implement IGRP and EIGRP. But legally Cisco wouldn't allow
this without some sort of licensing agreement. Cisco owns the technology, in
other words. The protocols are proprietary, even though Cisco doesn't seem
opposed to publishing info on how they work. Cisco's motivation for
publishing info is to help network admins use Cisco's implementations, not
help a competitor (or even a collaborator) do their own implementation.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com