Bruce -
Actually I'm not missing any pieces.  Check out this link on the CCO to
see exactly what I'm trying to accomplish:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800ffdcc.shtml#background

The router (3640,etc) utilizes the ITS feature set to act as the call
manager for the network and create a small IP Key system without a few of
the call manager features that I don't need in this case.  And yes I want
to use the 79xx phones behind the switch that I didn't mention is behind the
router.  I will use the FXO
ports on the router to plug the incoming lines into.  The page shows
everything from how to do hold music to how to configure the phones XML
interface.  However it leaves out the PSTN setup section which is where
I'm stuck at.  I think I can do a session target to the ephone-dn but I'm
not sure of the syntax.

"Configuring the PSTN Connection on the Cisco ITS Router
Assuming that the ITS router has voice interface cards, you will now want
to configure those cards so that calls can be placed to and from the IP
phones.  This is not significantly different than other voice connections
on a router.  You can think of the ephones with the numbers that were
assigned to the ephone-dn's as FXS ports on the routers."

Thanks,
Andrew

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800ffdcc.shtml#ITS3660