On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, The Long and Winding Road wrote:

|->> They have told us to config our ethernet port to half duplex so packets
|->> will be retransmitted if they get lost in their ATM cloud so we have a
|->> fairly high collison rate on this port. I dont know enough about ATM to
|->> say if this is good or bad...?
|->
|->
|->CL: huh? the retransmission is determined from and between the source and
|->destination hosts, not by routers along the way. this half duplex
|->instruction doesn't make sense to me.

Nor does it to me either but before we put in the 7206, we had their 7204
as the gateway connected to a switch and it was set half-duplex even
before I started here. I'm going to dig more into this.

The part of this that annoys me is when I asked my boss about this he said
the provider would charge us an xtra $2k/month to run the port
full-duplex....telus is hurting and are trying to squeeze as much as they
can from us and everyone else.

|->CL: have you considered doing traffic studies to determine if any qos type
|->services could be of benefit? anything like traffic shaping, random early
|->detect, things like that?

We have started doing that because we started noticing that outbound
traffic higher than inbound. About 6 weeks ago we moved the routers to a
switch as a start just to look at sniffing the traffic via port spanning.
4pm in the afternoon we started and within an hour, we found that 50-60%
of traffic outbound was riding on port 1214 (Kazaa etc) At that time
outbound traffic was pushing 18Megs, inbound was about 15Megs.

Historically traffic was 8-10Megs out and 15-18Megs in. P2P is killing us.

A few simple ACL's have been put to rate-limit outgoing traffic on that
port for P2P, which has helped. And we are looking at packet shaping
possiblities. My boss wants a Packeteer....but I'd like to see if I can do
something with the router instead of spending 20 grand.

|->CL: according to the following link, up to 400,000 pps
|->
|->http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/7200/prodlit/c7200_ds.htm
|->
|->your description doesn't indicate you have oversubscribed the back plane.
|->

Yea I dont think we are either now that Ive seen some numbers. I was
looking for specs on the NSE1 not the 7206. Thanks for the link.

|->> Anyway to acutally tell for certain if the router is dropping packets?
|->
|->show buffers
|->show queueing
|->show queue interface etc.

Showing misses/failures on all buffers but these have the most:

Small buffers, 104 bytes (total 50, permanent 50, peak 201 @ 7w0d):
     44 in free list (20 min, 150 max allowed)
     1991931468 hits, 98395 misses, 43142 trims, 43142 created
     2371 failures (0 no memory)
Middle buffers, 600 bytes (total 25, permanent 25, peak 92 @ 3d20h):
     23 in free list (10 min, 150 max allowed)
     43042905 hits, 2828 misses, 2508 trims, 2508 created
     703 failures (0 no memory)
Big buffers, 1524 bytes (total 50, permanent 50, peak 68 @ 6d12h):
     50 in free list (5 min, 150 max allowed)
     12398616 hits, 359 misses, 81 trims, 81 created
     79 failures (0 no memory)

so according to docs on CCO about buffers, misses/failures usually lead to
dropped packets. This leads me to believe that data is coming in at a rate
higher than the RP can keep up though. Will have to look at upping the #
of permenant buffers and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Keith