On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

|->Don't believe everything you hear! ;-) Couple comments inline.

I dont.

|->They can't tell if packets are getting dropped from trace route? Just
|->because your router doesn't send back the ICMP TTL doesn't mean it's
|->dropping packets. It could simply be rate-limiting ICMP, or could have
|->access lists, or could be just dropping packets that require process
|->switching, or doing a number of other reasonably healthy actions.

It has access lists of course. It only happens some of the time though.

|->> They have told us to config our ethernet port to half duplex so
|->> packets
|->> will be retransmitted if they get lost in their ATM cloud so we
|->> have a
|->> fairly high collison rate on this port. I dont know enough
|->> about ATM to
|->> say if this is good or bad...?
|->
|->If they really said that, ask to talk to a more senior engineer. That's a
|->clueless comment. If packets get lost in the ATM cloud, you can't do
|->anything about it on your router's Ethernet interface!

I was told that by someone from their sales, who said he got it from their
techs when I first looked into the duplex issue...hmm...posted that
question to inet-access at least a year ago now. I have always been
suspicous of that. time to open that case again...

|->However, you should definitely troubleshoot the collision rate. If you're
|->set to full duplex, there should be 0 collisions. It sounds like there's a
|->duplex mismatch problem.

No its half-duplex, their router is set to half as well...its always made
me wonder about why they have insisted on a half-duplex connection.

|->> Output queue 0/40, 1466359 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
|->
|->The 0 input queue drops are a good sign, but the 1466359 drops on the
output
|->queue could be bad. But it could be normal too. You need to compare it to
|->the number of packets output. The ratio of dropped to sent should
hopefully
|->be less than about 5%, although it really depends on the traffic flow.

We have an ACL set to rate limit outgoing traffic on that interface so
drops outbound there is not a concern.

|->Is this interface 100 Mbps? I think you said it was. If it's getting fed
my
|->multiple highly-used 100 Mbps interfaces, it has to drop packets. That's
|->normal.

Ok thanks! You were helpful.

Keith